nutch-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Doug Cutting <cutt...@nutch.org>
Subject Re: Pre MapReduce Nutch release?
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 15:54:10 GMT
Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> Would it be good to make one last release of Nutch before starting the
> MapReduce effort?  This would give people the chance to grab this last,
> pre-MapReduce version now, instead of having to wait for MapReduce port
> to be done.

Yes, I would like to make a 0.7 release soon.

While we're in the incubator, releases require a vote of the Incubator 
PMC, which I would rather avoid, since it involves a lot of folks who 
are not familiar with Nutch.  Once we are a sub-project of Lucene then 
we can make releases and add comitters with the oversight of only 
Lucene's PMC.  As you know, the Lucene PMC is willing to accept Nutch as 
a sub-project, so now the only formality is a vote by the Incubator PMC 
to graduate Nutch from the incubator and into lucene.apache.org/nutch. 
I will call that vote today and, if all goes well, we should be able to 
make a 0.7 release in a week or two.

> I see there is a new branch for MapReduce.  Is the plan to keep going
> in parallel on the trunk and release MapReduce-less Nutch from there
> later?

Yes, more or less.  I wanted to be able to start incompatible 
MapReduce-related work without breaking 0.7.  Sometime after the 0.7 
release we can merge the changes from the mapred branch back into the 
trunk and kill the mapred branch.  Normally I try to avoid branching, 
but I really want to get started on the MapReduce work without worrying 
about back-compatibility, but I also still want to make a pre-MapReduce 
release based on the current trunk.  A branch seemed like the best way 
to do this.

Doug

Mime
View raw message