nutch-user mailing list archives

From "Joe Reger, Jr." <...@joereger.com>
Subject Nutch Control via Java with no Command Line?
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 13:56:59 GMT
First of all, thanks to everybody involved in Nutch.  It looks wonderful and
I can't wait to apply what you've done.

Is it possible to run and control Nutch completely within Tomcat 5.0.28 and
Java 1.4.2 using no command line?

In other words, I'd like to avoid using the command line and instead call
the java classes directly on a scheduled or user-controlled basis from
Tomcat.  From what I see in bin/nutch I should be able to replace the
command:

bin/nutch crawl urls -dir crawl.test -depth 3 >& crawl.log

with something like:

net.nutch.tools.CrawlTool crawlTool = new net.nutch.tools.CrawlTool();
String[] args = new String[7];
args[0] = "urls";
args[1] = "-dir";
args[2] = "crawl.test";
args[3] = "-depth";
args[4] = "3";
args[5] = ">&";
args[6] = "crawl.log";
crawlTool.main(args);

Is this possible?  Is this smart?  What sort of issues will arrise if I try
to run everything from Tomcat/Java?

Thanks,

Joe Reger