nutch-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: State of nutchbase
Date Sun, 06 Dec 2009 20:55:42 GMT
Alban Mouton wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have looked a little into nutch code and mailing lists. I think the
> nutchbase branch (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NUTCH-650) is
> very interesting, with a good potential to improve code clarity and
> flexibility (I find data structure quite obscure in current version).
> The issue is untouched since last august, so my question is : can
> nutchbase really be part of nutch 1.1 ?

Definitely no. Release 1.1 will be an update to 1.0, with no major
design changes. However, we intend to integrate the nutchbase branch
with trunk at some point - but since this would be a major change it
would come under 2.0 branch or so ...

> Is there still much work to do
> or is it almost ready ? Is it a worthy issue for an interested developer
> with a (still !) limited knowledge of the project ?

Please contact Dogacan, who is leading the work on this branch. AFAIK
he's going to update the design soon.

> So far I have only tried to run nutchbase in eclipse by applying the
> tutorial (http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/RunNutchInEclipse1.0) but I run
> in errors when building, mostly from Parser and tests. I may start by
> cleaning this up.

See above - please coordinate with Dogacan to avoid duplication of effort.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><