nutch-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: OSGi progress
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2009 13:42:48 GMT
Kirby Bohling wrote:
> All,
>
> I have pushed out a version of Nutch to github:
>
> git://github.com/kbohling/nutch.git

> I'm going to look into how to use OSGi features to hook the plugins
> into the core configuration.  I am trying to minimize the amount
> change to Nutch code.  In that vein, I am contemplating adding one
> service implementation to each plugin.  Create
> "RegisterExtensionService", that has a single method that will allow
> each plugin to register whatever factory type objects are needed by
> the core to instantiate the objects required to assemble a runtime
> environment.  If a plugin has multiple extensions, we can either
> register them all in one service, or register each as a separate
> services.

This looks like a very good beginning. I only started looking at it, but
one thing that puzzles me is that there are no services defined ... I t
hought that plugins that provide specific services (such as parsing)
should advertise this, so that facades such as Parser, IndexingFilters,
URLFilters, URLNormalizers, etc ... can assemble all available plugins.
Or am I missing something?

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><