nutch-dev mailing list archives

From Renaud Richardet <>
Subject Re: RSS-fecter and index individul-how can i realize this function
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2007 21:14:31 GMT
Hi Chris, Doug,

Chris Mattmann wrote:
> Hi Doug,
>> Since the target of the link must still be indexed separately from the
>> item itself, how much use is all this?  If the RSS document is
>> considered a single page that changes frequently, and item's links are
>> considered ordinary outlinks, isn't much the same effect achieved?
> IMHO, yes. That's what it's been hard for me to understand the real use case
> for what Gal et al. are talking about. I've been trying to wrap my head
> around it, but it seems to me the capability they require is sort of already
> provided...
Not sure I understand: An RSS-feed is a collection of feed-entries, and
each feed-entry would be indexed a a separate document (each feed-entry
has a url or uuid as unique identifier).
What happens with the RSS-feed itself? Is it indexed, or considered as a
"container" that just needs to be fetched and fetched again for new entries?

The usecase is that you index RSS-feeds, but your users can search each
feed-entry as a single document. Does it makes sense?

> Cheers,
>   Chris
>> Doug
> Chris A. Mattmann
> Staff Member
> Modeling and Data Management Systems Section (387)
> Data Management Systems and Technologies Group
> Jet Propulsion Laboratory            Pasadena, CA
> Office: 171-266B                        Mailstop:  171-246
> Disclaimer:  The opinions presented within are my own and do not reflect
> those of either NASA, JPL, or the California Institute of Technology.

Renaud Richardet                                      +1 617 230 9112
my email is my first name at

View raw message