nutch-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@cs.put.poznan.pl>
Subject Re: Search quality evaluation
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 19:01:04 GMT

> In any case, it includes a system to scrape search results from other
> engines, based on Apple's Sherlock search-engine descriptors.  These
> descriptors are also used by Mozilla:

Just a note: we used to have exactly the same mechanism in Carrot2.
Unfortunately this format does not make a clear distinction between
title/ url/ snippet parts and stays at snippet granularity, so we
additionally parsed each snippet with regular expressions...  The
problem that lies beneath is in terms-of-use which forbid automatic
scraping of search results using these plugins... That's the main reason
why we switched to public APIs, actually.

D.