nifi-users mailing list archives

From Andy LoPresto <alopresto.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Upgrade Nifi from 0.6 to 1.0
Date Sat, 03 Dec 2016 18:52:17 GMT
Ali,

NiFi version changes are intentionally designed to be backwards compatible when possible,
and unless something in the migration notes specifically applies to your flow, you should
be fine. You can copy the conf/flow.xml.gz file directly to the new instance.

Andy LoPresto
alopresto@apache.org
alopresto.apache@gmail.com

> On Dec 3, 2016, at 04:46, Ali Nazemian <alinazemian@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Andy,
>
> Thank you very much for the provided details. However, I am not going to upgrade Nifi
instance in place. I want to export Data Flows from Nifi 0.6, install new Nifi 1.0 (or 1.1)
cluster and import the data flows template to new Cluster. My concerns are more about the
inconsistency between data flows in different versions and less about architectural changes
or other changes.  My question would be is there any problem might happen during this process?
For example, some changes in the template format or flow names or other changes I should be
aware of.

> Cheers,
> Ali
>
>> On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 2:43 PM, Andy LoPresto <alopresto@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi Ali,
>>
>> You can upgrade between NiFi 0.6 and 1.0 (although we’d recommend you go to 1.1.0
which was just released this week and had 265 issues fixed / features added since 1.0). Follow
the migration guide [1], as there are substantial changes introduced in the 1.x versions which
you should be aware of. Some of the biggest are the new multi tenant authorization model [2]
and the zero master cluster model. As you were not using clustering in 0.x, you do not need
to worry about ZMC as it will work by default. There is a capability [3] to migrate the existing
“legacy” authorized-users.xml to users.xml and authorizations.xml, which support the new
model.

>> I’d recommend upgrading your standalone node first and once you’re comfortable
with the new UI and that you have configured the flow and user access policies the way you
want, then spread to a cluster. The flows will migrate with very little interaction (some
processors require that they run only on the primary node for synchronization issues, like
ListFile, but this is documented in the processor info) and most flows are the same on standalone
instances as they are on clusters.

>> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Migration+Guidance
>> [2] http://bryanbende.com/development/2016/08/17/apache-nifi-1-0-0-authorization-and-multi-tenancy
>> [3] https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/administration-guide.html#legacy-authorized-users
>>

>> Andy LoPresto
>> alopresto@apache.org
>> alopresto.apache@gmail.com
>> PGP Fingerprint: 70EC B3E5 98A6 5A3F D3C4  BACE 3C6E F65B 2F7D EF69
>>
>>> On Dec 2, 2016, at 5:03 PM, Ali Nazemian <alinazemian@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I was wondering is there any concern regarding Nifi upgrade? I want to upgrade
from HDFv1.2 (Nifi 0.6) to HDFv2 (Nifi 1) and I want to know that all of the data flows can
be imported from the older version to the newer one or not? Moreover, I want to install Nifi
Cluster instead of Nifi standalone. Is it possible to use the data flows which are created
for the older version of Nifi standalone on the newer version of Nifi Cluster?