nifi-users mailing list archives

From Mark Payne <marka...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Determine which Nifi processor eating CPU usage
Date Mon, 26 Oct 2015 15:07:38 GMT
Elli,

Unfortunately, Java doesn't provide fine-grained details about which threads are using how
much CPU, etc.
However, the way that we typically tackle this is to go to the Summary view in NiFi (the table
that you are talking
about here). There are a couple of points of interest here. If you sort the table by Run Status,
then you will notice
that the Run Status is "Running" for processors that are scheduled to run but have no threads.
For Processors
that currently have active threads, you will see "Running (1)" for 1 active thread, "Running
(3)" for 3 active
threads, etc. So sorting by that column will help you determine which Processors are currently
running.

Likely more of interest, though, is the "Tasks / Time" column. If you click on that column
so that it is sorted by which
Processors have used the most time (generally that will require 3 clicks to sort by that),
then you can understand
which Processors are running the most. It is not necessarily using the most CPU, but that's
a pretty good indicator.

Thanks
-Mark

> On Oct 26, 2015, at 10:57 AM, Elli Schwarz <eliezer_schwarz@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> We have a nifi flow with many custom processors (and many processor groups). We suspect
that one or more processors are eating up CPU usage, so we're wondering if there's an easy
way to tell which processor has a heavy load on the CPU. There are tables to see processors
in order of number of flow files or bytes in/out, etc, but not based on CPU usage. In fact,
I can't find a way to see a table of all processors that have active threads. All that we
know is that the top command has nifi running at 800%, and we're doing trial and error by
turning off processors until we hit the one that makes CPU utilization go down.

> We did see an earlier post about processors that poll can be eating up CPU cycles, but
that doesn't seem to be the case here. Once in the past we had a custom processor with a bug
that caused it to eat CPU cycles, but we discovered the issue not through Nifi but because
we happened to be examining the code.