nifi-users mailing list archives

From Brandon DeVries <...@jhu.edu>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Feature proposal: Streamline visual flow design
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2015 17:30:37 GMT
Rob,

I have no real objections to (1) or (2).  (1) seems useful and can probably
be implemented without radical changes.  (2) might be harder, but if done
well could be a good thing.

I object to the characterization of "inconsistency" in (3).  Placing a
processor is fundamentally different than drawing a connection.  I would
think of drawing the connection as a configuration step in itself
(configuring an outgoing relationship from one processor to connect to
another).  In other words, drawing a connection could be seen as saying you
want to connect a relationship on one processor to another... but which
one?  Being able to establish an unconfigured, "invalid" connection between
processors seems like a recipe for confusion.  Obviously this is all my
opinion, but I don't think you should ever be able to establish a
connection that isn't valid.  Having said that, if forcing immediate
configuration of a processor after placing it was an option that could be
enabled, I don't see any harm.  However, I would vote that the default
behavior remain as it is.

Brandon