nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Andy LoPresto <alopre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: how to externalize the properties of various processors for a given flow
Date Wed, 27 May 2020 21:17:10 GMT
You should not use bootstrap.conf for this. That file is for application-level configuration
values to start the NiFi framework. I would suggest learning about the flow development lifecycle
[1] using NiFi Registry [2], a complementary application which was introduced for just this
purpose. This allows for versioning flow snippets, promoting them between environments, and
deploying them to new NiFi instances. There are also tools like NiPyAPI [3] and the NiFi CLI
Toolkit [4] which allow for scripted interaction with the flow, and the NiFi REST API [5]
which allows population of arbitrary processor properties from any client.

[1] https://www.slideshare.net/Hadoop_Summit/sdlc-with-apache-nifi <https://www.slideshare.net/Hadoop_Summit/sdlc-with-apache-nifi>
[2] https://nifi.apache.org/registry <https://nifi.apache.org/registry>
[3] https://nipyapi.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ <https://nipyapi.readthedocs.io/en/latest/>
[4] https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/toolkit-guide.html#nifi_CLI
[5] https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/rest-api/index.html

Andy LoPresto
alopresto@apache.org
alopresto.apache@gmail.com
He/Him

> On May 27, 2020, at 5:19 AM, krishna <srikrishna.suman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Nifi Team,
>
> I am new to NIFI and learning about it. I am developer with experience in web development.
>
> Do we have a way to externalize the properties that we set for each processor. At present
this is done when we define the processors in our flow from the Web UI of NIFI. This is ok
for tyring out with the processors.

> But what if we have designed our flow and moving to other environments. How can we set
the properties of each processor so that nifi can read them from external properties file
or a database. So that once we make sure we have right properties configured, we can just
concentrate on deployment of the flows and testing. Do we have any feature to do this, or
any processor that can read external file and set all the properties of the processors in
the flow ahead.

> I found a stackover flow article to use bootstrap.config for the time being. Are there
any features added in this regard.