nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Witt <joew...@apache.org>
Subject Submitted April 2020 board report for Apache NiFi
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2020 15:51:00 GMT
Team,

Here is the report I've submitted for this months ASF board meeting

The mission of NiFi is the creation and maintenance of software related to
providing an easy to use, powerful, and reliable system to process and
distribute data.

Apache NiFi MiNiFi is an edge data collection agent built to seamlessly
integrate with and leverage the command and control of NiFi. There are both
Java and C++ implementations.

Apache NiFi Registry is a centralized registry for key configuration items
including flow versions, assets, and extensions for Apache NiFi and Apache
MiNiFi.

Apache NiFi Nar Maven Plugin is a release artifact used for supporting the
NiFi classloader isolation model.

Apache NiFi Flow Design System is a theme-able set of high quality UI
components and utilities for use across the various Apache NiFi web
applications in order to provide a more consistent user experience.
## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Membership Data:
Apache NiFi was founded 2015-07-14 (4 years ago)
There are currently 47 committers and 30 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 3:2.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Peter Wicks on 2019-05-29.
- No new committers. Last addition was Peter Turcsanyi on 2019-10-25.

We have strong committer and PMC pipeline to consider so we expect to see
activity here pending discussions by the PMC.

## Project Activity:
Apache NiFi Registry 0.6.0 is currently under Release Candidate vote. It is
mostly stability and security related changes.

Apache NiFi 1.11.0 through 1.11.4 have all been released in January,
February, and March respectively.  The 1.11 release line brought in some
awesome features like better integration with Azure, all NiFi repositories
can now be encrypted at an application level, class loader isolation now
works across nars with native libraries, and more.  We've also addressed
a massive number of bugs, improvements, and security related fixes.

Apache NiFi MiNiFi CPP 0.7.0 was released in January with 145 issues
addressed.
It includes a number of new features like SFTP support, running as a
windows
service, tail support for globs/wildcards, windows event log consumption,
and
a long list of stability improvements.
## Community Health:
In our previous reporting period we noted a decline of roughly 15% mailing
list activity in dev and users and attributed that to the time of year and
the
rise of engagements in slack.  Slack engagement continues to rise but this
period we see an increase of 58% on our dev list and 16% on users and also a
large increase in issues activity of 61%.  The community is very busy
including more than a 100% increase in commits and 17% increase in the
number
of contributors of committed code in the quarter.  Anecdotally a significant
increase in new user activity is observed as well.  Many mailing list
questions are starting from very limited knowledge and folks are looking
for a
lot of assistance with patterns and getting started in terms of pure usage.

We see also constant activity for Apache NiFi on Twitter, Stackoverflow,
Youtube, etc. These are for tutorials, example use cases, job/ads, questions
and answer created by people active in the community and not.

For the past few quarters we've reported 394, 523, 707, and now 895
persistent
users in our slack channels. While it appeared this might harm or reduce
mailing list activity that doesn't seem to be the case.  We've just opened
up
more ways for folks to collaborate in the community.  The slack channels are
extremely busy and the depth of questions range from very superficial
questions easily answered to deeper and more complex situations that lead to
JIRAs and mailing list discussions.  Mostly though it just appears to be a
communication mode some users and developers like far more than the lists.

Our community activity level has certainly increased while at the same time
we
have not increased committer or PMC ranks.  This is really a reflection of
the
fact that the PMC has been very focused on knocking out releases and
engaging
on the various mailing list and slack channels.  We need to remind ourselves
to groom and manage the committer/PMC pipeline and there are least a couple
candidates well positioned for committer and/or PMC status based on past
discussions. Overall the state of the community appears very strong.