nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Si <si_...@web.de>
Subject SMB/CIFS support in NiFi
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2019 18:20:29 GMT
Hello

We're using NiFi on a Linux cluster because we get files from openssh/sftp
and then we send them to Windows shares. While it kind of works to just use
CIFS mounts, some of the Windows based systems are relying on share access
locks to know when it's safe to start reading the file. I could not get
this kind of locking to work using CIFS mounts. Supposedly the workaround
is to use a Windows cluster and S2S instead.

While looking for a solution I found an existing implementation for a
PutSMBFiles [1] processor. It depends on jcifs and that library does work
with the locks. But since jcifs is licensed under LGPL, I suppose there is
no chance to include it into the official NiFi.

There is an other lib though called smbj [2] and this is under Apache
License 2.0. Now my question is:
Is there already work ongoing for something like this?
If I'd start working on such a PutSMBFiles processor, how likely could this
be included into the official NiFi code base?
Is the put part enough for starting out or does it have to contain a get
(list / fetch) mechanism?
Any other considerations?

Regards
Si