nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Evan Reynolds <e...@usermind.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Next version of NiFi Registry after 0.5.0
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2019 18:28:35 GMT
I'd love to suggest working on improvements to avoid merge conflicts, and also more intelligence
in connecting things like controller services.

Merge conflicts:
We are using the registry to deploy flows to production. We have conflicts far too frequently
in the pipeline, and as there is no way to merge we are left manually replicating one set
of changes over the other set of changes, then roll that set back.

We have been working on processes to avoid that, but I do not think we're ever going to fully
succeed. __ I would love to have a discussion of how to avoid that! I know there aren't easy
fixes (we can merge the XML files but how to prove that is actually the desired result would
be a nightmare) but how many hooks does the registry have in NiFi? Could it monitor the deployed
flows, for example, and if one flow changed could it lock the other deployments so that if
someone tried to change them they'd get notified that they were about to create a problem
so that they could avoid it?

I'm not saying that is a good plan. But it's there to start a discussion mostly!

Controller services:
I have a controller service that I can only have one of due to resource limitations, but several
flows use it. When I deploy a flow, since the controller service is not inside that flow,
it doesn't deploy with that connection hooked up correctly so I have to go fix several places.
I'd love to improve that somehow!

Evan Reynolds
evan@usermind.com