nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Aldrin Piri <ald...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Assembly size for 1.10
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2019 18:45:21 GMT
Hi folks,

Doing a recent PR review and build, it seems that master has amassed some
additional size since our 1.9.2 release approaching 200MB.

Unfortunately, this is problematic and needs to be addressed in advance of
our 1.10 release.  INFRA has been more than helpful making one off
exceptions [1][2] for the larger assembly to get published to the ASF
repository and its associated mirrors, but another release that is even
larger is not something we can allow.  In a Linux environment, the master
build reports in at 1575671276 which puts us over the hard limit
highlighted in [2].

We had a prior community discussion [3] about splitting the framework and
extension repos and I am hoping to revive that discussion, in part.  We
certainly know what our longer term goals and ambitions are but need a fix
in the interim.  In the current state, we will not be able to make our
convenience binaries available at the conclusion of the release process.

At minimum we should evaluate which bundles are eligible to get treated as
optional dependencies and only enabled via profile, much like the work that
has occurred surrounding some of our other, hefty NARs. [4] A listing of
the top 50 largest NARs, excluding framework and standard, is available in
a gist [5].  The nifi-media-nar looks to be a good initial candidate for
exclusion.

Thanks for your consideration!

--aldrin

[3]