nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Andy LoPresto <alopre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: NiFi Toolkit CLI Token Creation
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2019 19:15:13 GMT
Assigned you that Jira and added you to the contributors role so you can do the same in the
future. Thanks.

Andy LoPresto
alopresto@apache.org
alopresto.apache@gmail.com

> On Jun 13, 2019, at 12:11 PM, Shawn Weeks <sweeks@weeksconsulting.us> wrote:
>
> Got it, for now I'm just going to work on implementing a Kerberos solution that either
allows you to configure a keytab and principal or pulls from the current subject if your already
logged in.

> I created NIFI-6378 and NIFIREG-281. Can one of you assign the registry one to me as
I'm not a contributor there yet.

> Thanks
> Shawn
>
> On 6/13/19, 2:03 PM, "Bryan Bende" <bbende@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>    It would be a little bit weird because you'd still need the client
>    cert for the initial request to get the JWT, so then in that case why
>    not just keep using the client cert.
>
>    Registry does things a little bit different than NiFi and has a few
>    variations of the token end-point:
>
>    /access/token/login (looks for credentials using basic auth)
>    /access/token/kerberos (same as NiFi)
>    /access/token/identity-provider (passes request to the configured
>    identity provider)
>    /access/token (tries all identity providers in order, the first of
>    which is X509 identity provider)
>
>    So if you sent a client cert to the last one, it would do what you are
>    suggesting.
>
>    On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 2:55 PM Andy LoPresto <alopresto@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> No, client cert authentication bypasses the JWT behavior completely. Because a client
cert is automatically sent on every request, it makes no sense to delegate the credential
to a token in that case.

>> Andy LoPresto
>> alopresto@apache.org
>> alopresto.apache@gmail.com
>> PGP Fingerprint: 70EC B3E5 98A6 5A3F D3C4  BACE 3C6E F65B 2F7D EF69
>>
>>> On Jun 13, 2019, at 11:52 AM, Shawn Weeks <sweeks@weeksconsulting.us> wrote:
>>>
>>> Completely agree on username and password but I'll probably still do something
somewhat generic around access tokens vs 2 way ssl as in the future there might be something
else. On a related note is it possible to get a JWT with 2 way ssl? If so we could use the
same auth method for everything.

>>> Thanks
>>> Shawn
>>>
>>> On 6/13/19, 1:36 PM, "Bryan Bende" <bbende@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>   Ah thanks for pointing that out, I completely forgot that apparently I
>>>   was thinking ahead in the JerseyNiFiClient of how we could support
>>>   tokens :)
>>>
>>>   You would need to make the same changes in the
>>>   JerseyNiFiRegistryClient, and then build a new toolkit based on a new
>>>   version of nifi-registry-client.
>>>
>>>   Also, you are correct that we could support username/password, but I
>>>   think Kerberos is much better from a security perspective since you
>>>   don't really need to give your credentials to the CLI. With
>>>   username/password, you would either need to add those properties to
>>>   the .props files for the CLI, which then gets into encrypting the
>>>   password, or you need to provide them on a command as arguments which
>>>   again gets into whether the password is in plain text or not.

Currently it looks like the NiFi Client JerseyNiFiClient.java was setup to support token(JWT)
based requests but from what I can tell those methods are never called anywhere. NiFi Registry
Client only implemented the implicit security and proxied entity methods.

Jersey WebTarget Headers in the two clients so it would be there on every request. I'll have
to do some testing but that might not require too many changes. In theory it could also support
username/password auth as well doing it the same way.

I was missing. Unfortunately I don't have the option to use self-signed certificate due to
organizational security policies and we don't have a way to get SSL Certificates issued to
individuals only servers.

constructor/factory methods to the part that parses command-line arguments.

via curl like I’m currently doing?

deployments. This certificate would not be as sensitive as the server certificate, as you
can put stricter permissions on that identity within the NiFi access controls, and the cert
would be issued for a DN that cannot be used to impersonate the server itself. Use this certificate
to authenticate for deployment activities.
in your browser and pass that into the CLI. This token expires regularly, so you will need
to continually update it.

sensitive and not available to the users who need to deploy to NiFi. Actual authentication
to NiFi is handled through Knox and our SSO Service so the end user never deals with SSL or
has access to a certificate. Originally I started down the path of writing a bunch of tools
based on NiPyAPI to handle deployments but since the CLI already does that I was hoping to
save some work. Currently we do several other things via rest using the Kerberos Token.

auth token being passed into all the rest calls so I was hoping I could hijack wherever that
was being generated via 2way ssl and add an option to call Kerberos instead to get the token.
When I say token I mean the auth bearer token that you can get from a post request to /access/kerberos
in NiFi and /access/token/Kerberos in NiFi registry.

CLI would have access to
any user you want. There

future it will be easier to
rather than self-signed.