nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn Weeks <swe...@weeksconsulting.us>
Subject Re: NiFi Toolkit CLI Token Creation
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2019 17:27:28 GMT
Is there a way to pass 2 currently? Because you can get the token via curl like I’m currently
doing?

Thanks
Shawn

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 13, 2019, at 12:21 PM, Andy LoPresto <alopresto@apache.org> wrote:
>
> I see a couple choices here:
>
> 1. Use the CA to generate and sign a new certificate for deployments. This certificate
would not be as sensitive as the server certificate, as you can put stricter permissions on
that identity within the NiFi access controls, and the cert would be issued for a DN that
cannot be used to impersonate the server itself. Use this certificate to authenticate for
deployment activities.
> 2. Manually extract the user’s JWT from the Developer Tools in your browser and pass
that into the CLI. This token expires regularly, so you will need to continually update it.

> 3. Build the Kerberos implementation of the authentication aspects of the CLI toolkit.

> Andy LoPresto
> alopresto@apache.org
> alopresto.apache@gmail.com
>
>> On Jun 13, 2019, at 10:00 AM, Shawn Weeks <sweeks@weeksconsulting.us> wrote:
>>
>> For our organization the server certificate is considered sensitive and not available
to the users who need to deploy to NiFi. Actual authentication to NiFi is handled through
Knox and our SSO Service so the end user never deals with SSL or has access to a certificate.
Originally I started down the path of writing a bunch of tools based on NiPyAPI to handle
deployments but since the CLI already does that I was hoping to save some work. Currently
we do several other things via rest using the Kerberos Token.

>> As I looked through the tool kit CLI I was seeing that auth token being passed into
all the rest calls so I was hoping I could hijack wherever that was being generated via 2way
ssl and add an option to call Kerberos instead to get the token. When I say token I mean the
auth bearer token that you can get from a post request to /access/kerberos in NiFi and /access/token/Kerberos
in NiFi registry.

>> Thanks
>> Shawn
>>
>> On 6/12/19, 12:06 PM, "Bryan Bende" <bbende@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>   I meant to say that you obviously could generate certs for CLI users, but I
>>   was just mentioning an alternative where you can proxy an identity.
>>
>>   Right now the CLI never obtains a token because it is all cert based.
>>
>>>   On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 1:03 PM Bryan Bende <bbende@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Right now the idea is that whoever is running the CLI would have access to
>>> a NiFi server certificate and then you can proxy any user you want. There
>>> should be examples of this in the readme or toolkit guide.
>>>
>>> Supporting Kerberos auth was something I wanted to do, but it’s definitely
>>> not a trivial effort.

I’m