nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Andy LoPresto <alopre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lowering the barrier of entry
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2019 02:13:35 GMT
There are many, *many* people who use NiFi and never write a line of code. Please feel free
to peruse the users@nifi.apache.org <mailto:users@nifi.apache.org> list for examples
of these (see also: origins of NiFi). Separating the User Guide (how to interact with the
application via the UI and API) and the Developer Guide (how to extend/change/and understand
the behavior of NiFi by viewing/modifying code) target very different (while sometimes overlapping)
audiences and I feel strongly should stay separated to reduce the likelihood of overwhelming
either group with unnecessary information and making it harder to find what they are looking
for.

I think moving the Developer Guide link up to the top is a good idea, and there has definitely
been discussion about this in the past. I can remember no objections.

I don’t know that additional menu items on the main site would help, because from the landing
page in the documentation section, those titles (User, Admin, and hopefully now Developer)
are broken out immediately.

I would vote against including wiki pages as part of the top-level documentation. I think
linking to them from content in a guide is helpful, but as Bryan pointed out, they change
frequently and are not deployed with the application. I think if we decide there is information
in the wiki that is stable and valuable, it should be moved into top-level (i.e. static generated)
documentation and hosted there & deployed with the application. In my opinion, the information
in the wiki should be frequently changing or under current discussion/proposed. There is greater
access to modifying that info, but that should be fixed by encouraging the community to make
PRs to the versioned documentation when appropriate.

Examples:
	* feature proposals, process FAQs, release notes, migration guidance, articles = wiki
	* component documentation, user/dev/admin guides, walkthroughs/reference documents = documentation
as code in NiFi project proper

Andy LoPresto
alopresto@apache.org
alopresto.apache@gmail.com

> On Jan 28, 2019, at 10:46 AM, James Srinivasan <james.srinivasan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Throw away :-)
>
> In our org, we have some people who can use NiFi to create flows with
> the built-in processors. I guess HWX would all them "Data Flow
> Managers".
> They might know some scripting, so can write Jython scripts.
>
> We have far fewer (approx 1) person (me) who can write custom
> processors in Java. Sometimes, I also create flows.
>
> I'd like to have lots more of both kinds of people.
>
> "User" & "Extending NiFi" actually maps to the internal training I
> run, so I'd be happy :-)
>
> James
>
> On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 at 18:01, Andrew Grande <aperepel@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Not to throw in a monkey wrench, but does it really make sense to split
>> User and Developer? In all years I've never seen a user who wasn't a
>> developer.
>>
>> Maybe call it a User and Extending NiFi sections?
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 28, 2019, 9:18 AM James Srinivasan <james.srinivasan@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Rather than lumping all the documentation together in a single huge
>>> doc, I was thinking separate entries in the top bar of the NiFi site
>>> under "Documentation" for something like:
>>>
>>> General (Overview & Getting Started)
>>> User (User Guide, Expression Language Guide, Record Path Guide &
>>> detailed Processor Usage)
>>> Admin (Admin Guide)
>>> Developer (All the text currently under Developer)
>>>
>>> Breaking it out into multiple top-level headings will hopefully help
>>> people find what they need more quickly e.g. with my Developer hat on,
>>> I don't much care about the details of the FooBarProcessor, whereas
>>> with my User hat on, I really want to know about its parameters and
>>> what they mean. Likewise, a non-admin probably doesn't much care about
>>> certificates etc.
>>>
>>> Does this makes sense? What do others think?

>>> Projects"
>>> can

>>> could

>>> https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/developer-guide.html#supplying-a-contribution