nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Payne <marka...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Error handling in @OnScheduled
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2018 15:00:58 GMT
James,

You can certainly catch Throwable there, or AssertionError, more specifically, but I'd be
very wary
of doing that, because at that point you're really kind of working against the framework (both
the
nifi mock/test framework as well as the JUnit framework) instead of with it. If your intent
is to test
a specific method, I would recommend testing that method explicitly by calling it yourself.

You don't need to create your own MockProcessContext. You can get the ProcessContext from
the Test Runner. For example:

final MyProcessor myProcessor = new MyProcessor();
final TestRunner runner = TestRunners.newTestRunner(myProcessor);

runner.setProperty(MyProcessor.MY_PROPERTY, "hello");

try {
  myProcessor.onScheduled( runner.getProcessContext() );
  Assert.fail("Expected SomeException to get thrown from onScheduled method but it did not.");
} catch (final SomeException e) {
  // expected.
}

Now, this being said, it begs the question whether or not you want to be throwing an Exception
from your @OnScheduled method.
I'm sure there are use cases where this makes perfect sense. However, you should first think
about whether or not you are
able to prevent the Exception from occurring by applying validation rules (addValidator()
to PropertyDescriptor's or customValidate).
The benefit to validators here is that when the user configures the Processor incorrectly,
they get a clear indication immediately that it
is not valid and a clear explanation of why it's not valid (as well as being shown in the
Invalid Counts of Process Groups, etc.).
If you wait until the user tries to start the Processor and throw an Exception, it will be
less obvious that there's a configuration problem
and the error message that they receive is likely not to be as clear.

Thanks
-Mark

On Aug 23, 2018, at 5:25 PM, James Srinivasan <james.srinivasan@gmail.com<mailto:james.srinivasan@gmail.com>>