nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Bende <bbe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: <External>Re: Pheonix client jar required for HBase conn
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2018 19:12:21 GMT
Adam,

Yes for now Java 8 is what is fully supported.

Hopefully the remaining issues can be resolved in the not too distant
future to become compatible with Java 9+.

I know in the HBase case it requires changing to a newer version of
the client because the 1.1.2 client has the code that caused the issue
you ran into with "Unexpected version format: 10.0.1".

Thanks,

Bryan

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 2:54 PM, Martini, Adam <Adam.Martini@nike.com> wrote:
> Bryan,
>
> We are running HBase 1.2.  I am confused as well about the missing ClassSize class.
Does seem completely unrelated to Pheonix and I do not understand why adding the client would
help resolve the class.

> Would you advise reverting to Java 8 until Java 10 is fully supported?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adam
>
> ´╗┐On 8/23/18, 11:27 AM, "Bryan Bende" <bbende@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Adam,
>
>     The ClassSize class comes from hbase-common [1] so I'm not sure how
>     that would related to the Phoenix client JAR. What version of HBase
>     was this against?
>
>     The only case I know of that needs the Phoenix client jar is when
>     Phoenix has been installed which then modifies the HBase config files
>     to specify some class names that come from phoenix client JAR.
>
>     As far as Java 10, there has been an on-going effort to become
>     compatible with Java 9+, but it is a non-trivial effort and not
>     complete yet [2].
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Bryan
>
>     [1] https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_apache_hbase_blob_rel_1.1.2_hbase-2Dcommon_src_main_java_org_apache_hadoop_hbase_util_ClassSize.java&d=DwIBaQ&c=7DfhQjPWzR3PmWBQVpi-kw&r=Sb-vyl3zZFvHwGIFN-QEmQCWZUYgyH4UBZPmcWFaTC8&m=bnetA9Y56Fx_Tiq-PCdevSuGr34t8ixQz5sDQMViOmc&s=XVjke9vTfRooHYCqZCNp1AS5kUbiGaJxHHF6OyNcnfQ&e=
>     [2] https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__issues.apache.org_jira_browse_NIFI-2D5174&d=DwIBaQ&c=7DfhQjPWzR3PmWBQVpi-kw&r=Sb-vyl3zZFvHwGIFN-QEmQCWZUYgyH4UBZPmcWFaTC8&m=bnetA9Y56Fx_Tiq-PCdevSuGr34t8ixQz5sDQMViOmc&s=dHD8gEEW65OaoGA1DC-FE3i7EJRLatqydkeFpaHB1IA&e=
>

>     On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 1:47 PM, Martini, Adam <Adam.Martini@nike.com> wrote:
>     > Hello all,
>     >
>     > We were struggling with our HBase client connection in the NiFi 1.7.1 release.
We are not using Phoenix and our client was erroring with a missing class exception:
>     >
>     > Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.ClassSize
>     >                 at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.IPCUtil.<init>(IPCUtil.java:72)
>     >                 at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.AbstractRpcClient.<init>(AbstractRpcClient.java:91)
>     >                 at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl.<init>(RpcClientImpl.java:1113)
>     >                 at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl.<init>(RpcClientImpl.java:1139)
>     >                 ... 33 common frames omitted
>     >
>     > Adding a Phoenix client (which we do not need) helps resolve this class dependency,
but fails if NiFi is running on Java 10:
>     >
>     > Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unexpected version format: 10.0.1
>     >     at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.ClassSize.<clinit>(ClassSize.java:119)
>     >     ... 37 common frames omitted
>     >
>     > Starting NiFi with Java 9 fixes this error, but complicates our devops as Java
9 is no longer supported and cannot be installed via package management.
>     >
>     > Please fix this dependency issue so that a Phoenix client is not required to
resolve the org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.ClassSize class. Also, please migrate to Java 10
as soon as possible.