nifi-dev mailing list archives

From "Martini, Adam" <Adam.Mart...@nike.com>
Subject Pheonix client jar required for HBase conn
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2018 17:47:19 GMT
Hello all,

We were struggling with our HBase client connection in the NiFi 1.7.1 release. We are not
using Phoenix and our client was erroring with a missing class exception:

Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.ClassSize
                at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.IPCUtil.<init>(IPCUtil.java:72)
                at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.AbstractRpcClient.<init>(AbstractRpcClient.java:91)
                at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl.<init>(RpcClientImpl.java:1113)
                at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl.<init>(RpcClientImpl.java:1139)
                ... 33 common frames omitted

Adding a Phoenix client (which we do not need) helps resolve this class dependency, but fails
if NiFi is running on Java 10:

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unexpected version format: 10.0.1
    at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.ClassSize.<clinit>(ClassSize.java:119)
    ... 37 common frames omitted

Starting NiFi with Java 9 fixes this error, but complicates our devops as Java 9 is no longer
supported and cannot be installed via package management.

Please fix this dependency issue so that a Phoenix client is not required to resolve the org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.ClassSize
class. Also, please migrate to Java 10 as soon as possible.

Let me know if I can help with this process.

Thanks,

Adam Martini
Senior Software Dev, Nike Digital