nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Marc <phroc...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Increasing durability in MiNiFi C++
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2017 13:59:00 GMT
Good Morning,

  I've begun capturing some details in a ticket for durability and
reliability of MiNiFi C++ clients [1]. The scope of this ticket is
continuing operations despite failure within specific components. There is
a linked ticket [2] attempts to address some of the concerns brought up in
MINIFI-356, focusing no memory usage.

  The spirit of the ticket was meant to capture conditions of known
failure; however, given that more discussion has blossomed, I'd like to
assess the experience of the mailing list. Continuing operations in any
environment is difficult, particularly one in which we likely have little
to no control. Simply gathering information to know when a failure is
occurring is a major part of the battle. According to the tickets, there
needs to be some discussion of how we classify failure.

  The ticket addressed the low hanging fruit, but there are certainly more
conditions of failure. If a disk switches to read/write mode, disks becomes
full and/or out of inode entries etc, we know a complete failure occurred
and thus can switch our type of write activity to use a volatile repo. I
recognize that partial failures may occur, but how do we classify these?
Should we classify these at all or would this be venturing into a rabbit
hole?

   For memory we can likely throttle queue sizes as needed. For networking
and other components we could likely find other measures of failure. The
goal, no matter the component, is to continue operations without human
intervention -- with the hope that the configuration makes the bounds of
the client obvious.

   My gut reaction is to separate partial failure as the low hanging fruit
of complete failure is much easier to address, but would love to hear the
reaction of this list. Further, any input on the types of failures to
address would be appreciated. Look forward to any and all responses.

  Best Regards,
  Marc

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MINIFI-356
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MINIFI-360