nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Andy LoPresto <alopre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NiFi MiNiFi 0.0.1 (RC1)
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2016 04:06:18 GMT
Hi,

I verified the GPG signature and all hash signatures. Contrib check ran fine.

I used one of the example config.yml files in the System Admin Guide and deployed it to the
compiled binary. The tool ran successfully and wrote to a log file on my system. I have a
couple notes about the release but nothing blocking.

+1 (non-binding)

Notes/questions:

README.md:
* Could we use HTTPS links when possible?
* The note about the time to run a parallel Maven build says on a moderate dev laptop it should
complete in less than 10 minutes. While true, a more accurate statement would be < 2 minutes.
* The mkdir example references “example-nifi-deploy” and “example-minifi-deploy” interchangeably.
* Are there separate MiNiFi mailing lists and IRC nodes coming?

System Admin Guide:
* Could we use HTTPS links when possible?

config.yml:
* Could we please change the default algorithm for protecting sensitive property values to
something stronger than the current selection? I would open a Jira if necessary, but this
is one of those things that is really better to do before the first release so users have
a backward-compatible config.yml file moving forward. If we change it in a subsequent release,
we will need to do significant migration hand-holding. My suggestion would be "PBEWITHSHA256AND256BITAES-CBC-BC”
which is significantly stronger, but after trying a few BC options, I continue to get EncryptionExceptions
even though I have the JCE unlimited cryptographic strength jurisdiction policy files installed,
so this may be a 0.0.2 fix. Is BouncyCastle not enabled by default?
* Question about how processors and connectors reference each other — it appears connectors
reference source processors by name but destination processors or ports by ID? Is this consistent
or just demonstrating the flexibility of the system? Also, what enforces processor name uniqueness,
as this is not an existing feature of NiFi.

All in all looks like a lot of great work and will expand the user base and opportunities
for NiFi significantly. Thanks.

Andy LoPresto
alopresto@apache.org
alopresto.apache@gmail.com