nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Skora <jsk...@gmail.com>
Subject build installs binaries and seems to be missing licenses
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2016 21:25:24 GMT
Dear devs,

I've looking into the 1.0.0 build processes and I noticed a couple things
that I don't understand.

1. During the build, nifi-web-ui (and another modules) use NodeJS.  This
entails the "frontend-maven-plugin" actually downloading and executing
binary code.  That's not something I'd normally expect in a Maven build,
especially when the downloads do not come from repositories referenced in
the NiFi build configuration.

     Is installing a foreign binary and executing it during a build a
problem under Apache?

2. The build uses NodeJS, NPM, and Bower (maybe more) but I cannot find any
references to those tools in the license files.  Node appears to have it's
own license, with a good bit of stuff rolled in as well.  If the relevant
licenses are not Apache compatible this could be a problem.

     Are there any license whisperers who can look at how these need to be
reconciled?

Sorry if I'm sounding false alarms, but this caught me off guard.  I
apologize if missed a prior discussion of this on the dev list.

Regards,
Joe