nifi-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitry Goldenberg <dgoldenb...@hexastax.com>
Subject Re: Text and metadata extraction processor
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2016 04:55:56 GMT
Simon,

I believe we've moved on past the 'mode' option and have now switched to
talking about how the include/exclude filters, for metadata and content, on
the one hand side, and filename or MIME type based, on the other hand side,
would drive whether meta, content, or both would get extracted.

For example, a user could configure the ExtractMediaAttributes processor to
extract metadata for all image files (but not content), extract content
only for plain text documents (but no metadata), or both meta and content
for documents with an extension ".pqr", based on the filename.

Could you elaborate on your vision of how relationships could "drive" this
type of functionality?  Joe has already built some of the filtering into
the processor; I just suggested to extend that further, and we get all the
bases covered.

I'm not sure I followed your comment on the extracted content being
transferred into a new FlowFile.  My thoughts were that the extracted
content would be inserted into a new, dedicated field, called for example,
"text", on *the same* FlowFile.  I imagine that for a lot of use-cases,
especially data ingestion into a search engine, the extracted attributes
*and* the extracted text must travel together as part of the ingested
document, with the original flowfile-content most likely getting dropped on
the way into the index.

I guess an alternative could be to have an option to represent the
extraction results as a new document, and an option to drop the original,
and an option to copy the original's attributes onto the new doc. Seems
rather complex.  I like the "in-place" extraction.

Could you also elaborate on how a controller service would handle OCR?
When a document floats into ExtractMediaAttributes, assuming Tesseract is
installed properly, Tika will already automatically fire off OCR.  Unless
we turn that off and cause OCR to only be supported via this service.  I'm
tempted to say why don't we just let Tika do its job for all cases, OCR
included.  Caveat being that OCR is expensive and it would be nice to have
ways of ensuring it has enough resources and doesn't bog the flow down.

For the PDF processor, I'm thinking, yes, PDFBox to break it up into pages
and then apply Tika page by page, then aggregate the output together, with
a configurable max of up to N pages per document to process (due to how
slow OCR is).  I already have a prototype of this going, I'll file a JIRA
ticket for this feature.

- Dmitry

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 8:43 PM, Simon Ball <sball@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Interesting commentary.  The issue that Joe and I have both looked at,
> with
> > the splitting of metadata and content extraction, is that if they're
> split
> > then the underlying Tika extraction has to process the file twice: once
> > pull out the attributes and once to pull out the content.  Perhaps it may
> > be good to add ExtractMetadata and ExtractTextContent in addition to
> > ExtractMediaAttributes - ? Seems kind of an overkill but I may be wrong.
> >
> > It seems prudent to provide one wholesome, out-of-the-box extractor
> > processor with options to extract just metadata, just content, or both
> > metadata and content.
> >
> > I think what I'm hearing is that we need to allow for checking somewhere
> > for whether text/content has already been extracted by the time we get to
> > the ExtractMediaAttributes processor - ?  If that is the issue then I
> > believe the user would use RouteOnAttribute and if the content is already
> > filled in then they'd not route to ExtractMediaAttributes.
> >
> > As far as the OCR.  Tika internally supports OCR by directing image files
> > to Tesseract (if Tesseract is installed and configured properly).  We've
> > started talking about how this could be reconciled in the
> > ExtractMediaAttributes.
> >
> > I think that once we have the basic ExtractMediaAttributes, we could add
> > filters for what files to enable the OCR on, and we'd need to expose a
> few
> > config parameters specific to OCR, such as e.g. the location of the
> > Tesseract installation and the maximum file size on which to attempt the
> > OCR.  Perhaps there can also be a RunOCR processor which would be
> dedicated
> > to running OCR.  But since Tika already has OCR integrated we'd probably
> > want to take care of that in the ExtractMediaAttributes configuration.
> >
> > Additionally, I've proposed the idea of a ProcessPDF processor which
> would
> > ascertain whether a PDF is 'text' or 'scanned'. If scanned, we would
> break
> > it up into pages and run OCR on each page, then aggregate the extracted
> > text.
> >
> > - Dmitry
> >

> > On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 3:19 PM, Simon Ball <sball@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Just a thought…
> >>
> >> To keep consistent with other Nifi Parse patterns, would it make sense
> >> based the extraction of content on the presence of a relation. So your
> tika
> >> processor would have an original relation which would have meta data
> >> attached as attributed, and an extracted relation which would have the
> >> metadata and the processed content (text from OCRed image for example).
> >> That way you can just use context.hasConnection(relationship) to
> determine
> >> whether to enable the tika content processing.
> >>
> >> This seems more idiomatic than a mode flag.

One way to

Office

> NiFi

> configure