netbeans-users mailing list archives

From "Walter Oney" <Walter.O...@oneylaw.com>
Subject RE: A Bad Thing has happened to the promise of platform independence
Date Sat, 28 Sep 2019 17:12:02 GMT
I'm doing this particular project on Windows 10. By "installing" I mean running the .exe (if
there is one) from a web site or downloading a JAR file and putting it some place where I
can find it.

I keep having private conversations with Geertjan without meaning to -- from long habit, I
hardly ever hit reply-all. Anyhow, he wondered what version of the JDK I was using. Initially,
I think I had 11.0 or 11.1. Then I decided to get the latest and greatest, so I uninstalled
that and installed 13 without realizing it didn't come with JavaFX (which I need for the graphics).
I'm back to 11.1 now, which I downloaded from Oracle. It appears not to have JavaFX built-in
like Oracle says it should.

I'm grateful that you guys are working on a Saturday and trying to help a newbie out.

-----Original Message-----
From: Neil C Smith <neilcsmith@apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 28, 2019 11:37 AM
To: Walter Oney <Walter.Oney@oneylaw.com>
Subject: Re: A Bad Thing has happened to the promise of platform independence

On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 at 12:04, Walter Oney <Walter.Oney@oneylaw.com> wrote:
> My current self-assigned task is to port the app to Linux in the hope that I’ll find
more robust WiFi support than Win10 has. I was hopping along as a happy little bunny with
NetBeans 8.4 and some version or another of the JDK that included JavaFX. I was misled by
the incomplete instructions for installing JNA to omit downloading jna.jar. Someone later
corrected my mistake on the stackoverflow forum, but not before I had installed JDK 13, a
current release of OpenJFX, and NetBeans 11.1. I ended up in Version Hell, which is where
you go when you have mismatched versions of your tools. I don’t even know what the path
back might be.

My first thought is are you doing this on the Linux machine you talk
about or still on Windows 10?  If Linux, which OS?  And what exactly
do you mean by "installing"?  Some of the things you mention there
should probably be part of your project but not installed.  Relying on
Linux packages for anything other than perhaps OpenJDK is very hit and
miss!

Best wishes,

Neil