netbeans-users mailing list archives

From Philip Durbin <philipdur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Netbeans 11.0-vc4 with a Java EE project (Dataverse)
Date Sun, 31 Mar 2019 20:21:48 GMT
Thanks for all the discussion and suggestions.

I'm glad there's agreement that my use case makes perfect sense. That is, I
want to onboard developers to Netbeans and our existing Java EE project
without necessarily going through the "new project" workflow.

I'm being told that I shouldn't go into "plugins" and enable Java EE
support. This reminds me strongly of Ren telling Stimpy not to push the red
button, the beautiful shiny button, the jolly candy-like button (
https://vimeo.com/126720159 ). It's hard not to succumb to the maddening
urge.

Before I change our dev guide again to recommend the "new project" dialog
instead of going through "plugins" I'd feel remiss if I didn't report that
on both computers at home (Mac and Ubuntu) the "new project" dialog hung at
the "finding feature" screen. I'll attach a screenshot.

Thanks,

Phil

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 10:15 AM Geertjan Wielenga
<geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> Well, by "anything" here, I mean, do not enable Java or Java EE support
> there, since that's all neatly handled in the New Project dialog.
>
> The key things are that:
>
> -- You need to install the NetBeans fork of the Java compiler, nb-javac,
> to use all the features of the Java editor in NetBeans, which you're
> enabled to do when creating your first Java-related project. The reason why
> this is needed is because the nb-javac support is licensed to Oracle and
> hence you need to install it yourself.
>
> -- You need to install the Oracle JS Parser, i.e., Nashorn, to do
> JavaScript development, which you're prompted to do when you're creating
> your first HTML5/JavaScript application as well as your first Java EE
> related applications, since these depend on the JavaScript related modules.
> The reason why this is needed is because the Oracle JS Parser support is
> licensed to Oracle and hence you need to install it yourself.
>
> -- You also need to enable features, i.e., nothing is enabled by default,
> since few people need everything and something is only enabled when you
> start using it, from the New Project dialog.
>
> So, when I say 'anything' here, I mean the enablement of the basic
> features, which is integrated into the process of creating new applications.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Gj
>
> On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 3:09 PM John Lavelle <john@jql.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> *On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 1:54 PM Geertjan Wielenga
>> <geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com <geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com>>
>> wrote:*
>>
>>> *And, please, in all these things, do not go to the Plugin Manager, do
>>> not either activate or enable anything there.*
>>>
>>> *Thanks,*
>>>
>>> *Gj*
>>>

>> Why?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> John
>>

>> On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 14:09, Geertjan Wielenga
>> <geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Opened your project without a problem after doing the above. It looks
>>> pretty cool in NetBeans. :-)
>>>
>>> Gj

EE

some