netbeans-users mailing list archives

From Eirik Bakke <eba...@ultorg.com>
Subject RE: [rcp][platform] Moving UI application based on Netbeans RCP 6.9.1 to 9.0 ?
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2018 01:47:02 GMT
Hi, Tanas.

> It has stopped working under JDK 9, and I got the job of figuring out what to do.
Yes, you'll need to use the 9.0 version of the NetBeans Platform or above to work with Java
9 or above.

a)  is the RCP still supported as part of Netbeans 9.0
Yes! I'm maintaining a NetBeans Platform (=RCP) application myself.

b) given that I expect the work might take possibly a month - is it better to look into moving
to 10.0?
Yes, I'd move to 10.0. There's not a substantial difference from 9.0 to 10.0 from an RCP point
of view, just lots of bugfixes.

I'd start by moving to 8.2 (the last pre-Apache version) and fixing any issues you get up
to that point. Then you can switch to 10. If you hit too many problems at once, just go up
one version at the time.

c) is the support for the RCP planned to continue in future?
As long as NetBeans exists as an IDE, the RCP will continue to work. The NetBeans IDE is just
another NetBeans Platform application.

Which build system are you using--ant or maven?

-- Eirik