netbeans-netcat mailing list archives

From Emilian Bold <emilian.b...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans roadmap updates
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2018 14:15:51 GMT
Two releases per year seems more manageable.

--emi

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 3:19 PM Geertjan Wielenga
<geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We've completed the NetCAT process (on the functioning of the convenience binary of Apache
NetBeans 10) and the PPMC vote (on the sources of Apache NetBeans 10).

> Right now, the IPMC (the incubator project management committee) is voting on the sources
of Apache NetBeans 10, since Apache NetBeans is in the Apache Incubator. (We're going to be
voting to get out of the Apache Incubator very soon, with support from our mentors, since
they're happy with how we're working as a community and consider us to be ready to be a top
level Apache project.)

> So, what's next? After we release Apache NetBeans 10, we'll start working on the next
release. Consensus on the dev mailing list has formed around quarterly releases. In the NetCAT
process, we found that there was quite some time pressure to get things done and maybe we
should take more time and thereby be able to provide more quality.

> As a result, here's a proposal to do two major releases next year, in line with JDK 12
and 13 in March and September, with two optional minor releases in between (e.g., a bug fix
release could be great). Of course, Apache NetBeans does not serve the Java community only,
though those two months of March and September are fairly spaced anyway and potentially could
allow us to provide bundles with those JDKs if and when that were to be possible.

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+Release+Roadmap
>
> There are several significant bugs that we need to nail down and resolve, we can include
them in the upcoming releases or distribute them via plugins. We're I'm sure all very aware
of several problems, as well as features that need to be added -- we need everyone to be proactive
in pinning down bugs and in providing code contributions for missing features.