netbeans-netcat mailing list archives

From Christian Lenz <christian.l...@gmx.net>
Subject AW: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans roadmap updates
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2018 22:17:21 GMT
-1 for only 2 releases per year. This is far to less and will end up with the Oracle model,
where we only have 2 releases per year (Round About, look at the Roadmaps, you see often big
time between a new release and an old one). We will not be competitive to other IDEs, we are
still now lack of a lot of Features (Little ones, which make everyone happy and Handy and
big ones). IMHO the biggest Problem now with the NetCat is still the donation process. I guess,
it will be less problematic after we have everything in Apache and completed donation.

To put it back to the JDK Version is also not good, again only IMHO, because NetBeans is still
not a Java DIE anymore we should remove this thinking which is still in the heads of a lot
of developers. And to put that thinking away, NetBeans Needs more advertisement of the other
Features and more implementation of stuff, which is still missing (Angular, Vue, JSON Schema,
other language supports, etc.)

How will the Patches look like? Only bug fixes? What About Major Releases like 11, 12, 13
and in between 11.1, 11.2 with new Features?

I mean we can have 11 in Feb and 12 in I don’t know August which is 6 Months and in between
we should have 11.1 and 11.2 which is not only a bugfix for a lot of Bugs, also with new Features,
but not that big. So Maybe no NetCat for 11.1 and 11.2 or not that much time spending on that.
Maybe reducing the NetCat process or changing it? Come one, there can be a lot more stuff
to make it better and possible. I know and this is a big Benefit, that NetBeans is real stable.
I switched from Eclipse now 5 years ago to NetBeans, because of 2 simple Plugins of Eclipse,
that broke the whole IDE. I know that we Need that Quality. So IntelliJ or the JetBrains based
IDEs are also real stable.

So I think we can handle it.

And no, using the development Version is not an Option, they are often not stable and not
possible to use it in production. I tried it from 7.0 – 7.2 I end up with a nightly build
with a lot of NPE after starting the DIE so I had to go back tot the stable Version and had
to wait 3 more months for the new Fancy Features.

Agian, I think after the donation process, it will be more easy, so we should wait a whole
year 2019 to see what happens then and should discuss it again after the last release of 2019.
We should not overreact yet.

My 2 cents

Cheers

Chris