netbeans-netcat mailing list archives

From Alexander Romanenko <a...@alex-tech-adventures.com>
Subject Re: Some of my thought regarding NetCAT 10
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2018 17:02:15 GMT
I want to add to the JIRA ticket problem too. This "tickets in strange
state" was discouraging towards the end, because it felt as if testing
became just a bureaucratic motion, not really something that lets the team
know there are issues. Only blocking issues seem to be looked at. It leaves
with feeling that if the IDE turns on without crashing, thats good enough,
but whether it actually makes you productive - well thats just personal
inconvenience.  This is a bit disheartening, because the UI of NetBeans is
the best of any on the market. Git presentation is superb, editor
splitting, database browser. But there are "small" things like
NETBEANS-1373 (related to PSR-4 implementation) or NETBEANS-1452,
NETBEANS-1379 which might be "minor" in comparison to IDE doing its bare
minimum job, but are a show stopper enough for many to not be able to use
NetBeans for actual work.

Comments around mailing list or jira like "workaround is to use external
tool" or "it works if use 2010 version of the library, therefore not a
problem", or no comment at all, as expressed by OP, not only not show
whether team has capacity to fix those things to figure out some strategy
(maybe advertise on twitter to bounty-hunt those, the same way NetCat was
advertised and got me involved), but that no one even cares enough about
making the product polished so that I may be encouraged to do some of my
own development to help fix those, not just report.

Understandably, the dev team cannot address each issue, and what can they
even say productively for many of them... But something does not feel right
when everyone reports their own problems in silence, and there is no
process to validate and upvote each other's submissions to be able to
signal better what really needs work.

Maybe a good use of time could be to not only hammer away at (potentially
invalid) test cases, but encourage to go through each other's issue
submissions to promote/make visible reported issues to better communicate
their impact.

Regarding tribe leader - also agree. And the idea that only tribe leader
can edit test suites that need to be running I think is wrong. I mentioned
before and made a Jira issue, there are some test case runs that do not
make sense in 2018 or are incomplete to the point that their "pass" state
creates a false positive impression. Time was poorly spent on those by
testers, when could be used looking at other more relevant places in more
detail. But because one must be a tribe leader with all added
responsibilities of managing "human assets" in order to fix those up, they
remain in the list.

Regarding time pressure comment. Its not that the time pressuring was not
appropriate at all, but it seem to have occurred at odd times of the week.
Eg. I am assuming that many like myself have some free time over the
weekend after work to do this, so getting nagged at random
Wednesdays/Thursdays that things are not getting done was misplaced. Now,
if after a weekend or two or regional holiday nothing is done, then can
start reminding people.