netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Antonio Vieiro <anto...@vieiro.net>
Subject Re: NetBeans 9 release date
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2017 23:21:45 GMT

> El 12 oct 2017, a las 23:56, Emilian Bold <emilian.bold@gmail.com> escribió:
>
>> I think, though this is just my opinion, that people simply using NetBeans
> and not giving anything back at all, is something we need to actively move
> away from.
>
> As a counterpart to this, I don't know where the millions of NetBeans users
> are.

Those millions of users are waiting for you to ask them what they want. It’s exactly the
same Emilian did with yameter.com a few days after the release:

https://twitter.com/emilianbold/status/916775452714336256

Should NetBeans support Apache Spark? Tomcat? The Go programming language? R? Whatever? Just
find a big pool of developers and ask them what to do next, what they need, what they want.
There’s no Oracle direction now (or if there’s then it’s just a direction, not all direction),
nobody is deciding what the future will be. So the NetBeans CEO (CEOs) must start asking customers
what they want.

Hint: Apache has a big pool of developers.
Hint 2: Ernie’s vi emulator should be included in NetBeans 9.

> On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 12:46 AM, Geertjan Wielenga <
> geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com> wrote:
>

>> We could then focus on releasing that -- i.e., the first release would
>> consist of all the new JDK 9 features (Jigsaw, JShell, etc), together with
>> then relicensed source code.

There’re no Oracle deadlines now. So the NetBeans Governance (or whatever is called, why
am I asking this? Not clear enough?) should set a roadmap ASAP and start blogging about it
in the net. Many users will appreciate a public roadmap. It gives us a sense of confidence
on what to expect.

And if this roadmap is decided by the NetBeans Governance _and_ the users, the better.

In fact a lack of roadmap can be seen as a competitive advantage, a blank sheet for users
deciding the NetBeans future.

>> I think, though this is just my opinion, that people simply using NetBeans
>> and not giving anything back at all, is something we need to actively move
>> away from.

“Build it, and they will come”

Cheers,
Antonio