netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <wadechand...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Defining "core" and "optional modules" in Apache NetBeans (incubating)
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2016 16:47:59 GMT
I get the platform is in core. No doubt there. I do think there is some basic editing support
which is core as well. It seems if NetBeans is both a platform and an IDE, or at least its
popular notion and name suggest this, then there are some basic things people expect from
an IDE. The IDE then has optional Java, PHP, C/C++, etc features. What are the basics for
an IDE that doesn’t support some specific technology? I think the answers to that are also
part of core; run external commands, a notion of a project without necessarily having a specific
file format or execution technology, some ability to “edit” a file (open, type, save),
syntax highlighting, general lexer concepts etc.

Whether optional or not though, I think we still need to understand what of NetBeans is being
given to Apache. I think if Java and Groovy support are not in that bundle, then you’ll
have some significant defection on your hands; the community wants to chip in, but no one
will want to waste a bunch of time or get into an odd limbo. I can see the same for other
things depending on folks expectations. So, as long as we are openly clear on that. I think
per the other thread that will be the case, but people need to know that.

Wade