netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <typr...@gmail.com>
Subject “Shark Tank” defense of NetBeans at ApacheCon
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2016 17:03:04 GMT
Geertjan heard I was attending ApacheCon EU and suggested I “pitch” NetBeans in

https://apacheconeu2016.sched.org/event/8UKq/podling-shark-tank-roman-shaposhnik-pivotal

Definitely I was not the most qualified person to talk about the
current state of affairs, but anyway it went OK and there was some
interesting discussion with the panel. It was noted that
http://netbeans.apache.org/ is a 404, which is embarrassing! Various
questions about viability were discussed, though less of a grilling
about the hazard of relying on Oracle for development resources than I
expected, more about whether Oracle could or would control the
direction of the project and Java compatibility; license issues
(including for example the question of nb-javac.jar) were discussed; I
pointed out the challenges associated with the sheer size of the
source base; and noted the long OSS history of the project and its
ties to many Apache efforts.

A lot of work ahead.

-J.