netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <wadechand...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Optional modules with GPL dependencies (was: What to include/exclude in code donation to Apache)
Date Sun, 06 Nov 2016 13:52:22 GMT
On Nov 6, 2016 3:59 AM, "Niclas Hedhman" <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:

> I give up. If you don't see that there is a difference between an
operating
> system and a JAR file (with the JRE somewhere in the middle), I am not
> going to re-re-re-re-re-reiterate the view that we are not lawyers, and if
> you had some more experience with interacting with them perhaps you would
> be less assertive.

One, the OS isn't even in this conversation. Two, it is clear the JDK and
JRE, even javac, in this context, are discussed as APIs, as we are
discussing access and a specific license, as well the use of APIs. Three,
we are talking about dependencies and their license.

This is why I asked you to be specific. The interaction you are talking
about with lawyers, requires specifics too, so be clear. It isn't a
re-iteration if you have yet to be specific; talking about the OS is
completely off topic at this point.

If a legal precedent is understood, then it is understood, and I don't call
my lawyer if it is clear. This is pretty clear to me unless there is an
Apache specific concern you have not specified as it relates to the
GPL+CPE. The NB community and platform apps devs have delt with this
license for many years.

> I am done.

Per your own choice of words and phrases, fine. It isn't exactly
constructive when you are not specific. You were the one who said it may be
possible the Java cluster may need to be GPL+CPE.

That makes no sense without something specific as it is accessed by classes
and API from the Java cluster, and it has already been made clear nb-javac
will not be distributed. This is exactly/specifically how this conversation
relates to OpenJDK and Java projects, as well as mod_perl and Perl; neither
an OS. This is also specifically pointed out in "resolved".

I asserted what I understand, and asked where the difference and concern
specifically was. I completely assume mentors will run things like this by
legal, but regardless, if you are arguing a point, be specific if it
requires legal.

Wade