netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <wadechand...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Optional modules with GPL dependencies (was: What to include/exclude in code donation to Apache)
Date Sun, 06 Nov 2016 14:44:32 GMT
On Nov 6, 2016 5:31 AM, "Neil C Smith" <neilcsmith.net@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> > Java (or more precisely, JRE, pre-OpenJDK) was deemed 15-20 years ago
to be
> > incompatible with Apache principles, and although Sun allowed
> > redistribution of JRE, we couldn't do it. Java got classified the same
as
> > Windows, Linux and other prerequisites as a "System Requirement", and
that
> > term is only vaguely defined to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. In
> > the past (I was on Legal committee for 5 years or so) "System
Requirement"
> > questions that listed one or more library-type components, would be
denied.
> > IIRC, people tried that route for Hibernate, Berkley DB JE and Neo4j.
Each
> > case is different, and should be evaluated on its merits.
>
> Something I understand, but not something that actually relates to
> *my* licensing question, which was back to Oracle / Geertjan.  That
> was the ultra-long-shot question of whether multiple licensing of
> javac and other tools had been considered?  Tools having a more
> liberal license to their runtimes is not without precedent!  I'm also
> not holding my breath. :-)

The specific point addressed here to which you are replying doesn't appear
to be a legal question, outside of distribution, but a business practice
when it concerns dependencies, just purely as a dependency. Are these type
business requirements, which are not a question of legality, but of use and
"The Apache Way", also to be run through legal? These seem more related to
a vote of a PMC to move forward on a business decision. We are talking
about protocol and an Apache specific way of doing business it seems. If
such questions also go to legal, at Apache, then good and important
specifics to know.

Wade