netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <wadechand...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What to include/exclude in code donation to Apache
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2016 01:12:48 GMT
But let's not kid ourselves. Java support is very important to NetBeans
future; one can't build plugins without it. Oracle has committed to 2
releases from what I read, but I think if I am reading right, then perhaps
when JDK 9 support comes about nb-javac will be in NB main? Does that mean
with a new license or it is something different to replace it?

Next, Groovy support has dependencies on the Java modules. That also means
Gradle and Maven support do too I guess (I need to check on the Maven
part). The whole works out of the box bit or batteries included stuff
starts to look a bit different, and still trying to wrap my head around it.
That is a big chunk of the IDE. So, I am curious what things look like in
that context.

Too, any systems which have been built and depend on the Java support (or
Groovy) start to behave different or at least now must be deployed
differently; versus a static package or so it sounds. A good bit to mull
over. The whole IDE has been "the platform" to some degree in the past (a
long time); even a game platform was based on the IDE at one point.

My first thoughts are those things need to be redone some how to only have
to depend on things from the JDK or pure Apache NetBeans dependencies. That
or we are starting to see different branches of Java and JS support where
the old ones are supported one way, and new things another. My second is
that maybe it doesn't matter, but need to dwell on it more.

Wade