netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lahoda <lah...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Optional modules with GPL dependencies (was: What to include/exclude in code donation to Apache)
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2016 17:00:48 GMT
On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 4:59 PM, Geertjan Wielenga <
geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 4:51 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
> I'm clueless about the NetBeans code structure and what clusters are,
>

> That's precisely why I am putting together this:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/
> Overview%3A+NetBeans+Structure
>
> but do you mean that nb-javac is a (customized?) Java compiler that's
> > required to build some parts of NetBeans?
>

> Yes.
>
> Aside from nb-javac (two JARs in total) being needed to build the "java"
> cluster, and related non-core clusters, it is needed by end users as well,
> which is possible as stated by Ate they "will be required to provide the
> nb-javac module themselves during installation".

To provide some more information:
-I believe nb-javac is not intended to execute during compilation of
NetBeans modules
-nb-javac is used as a library to parse, attribute, model and compile Java
source code
-nb-javac is basically a tweaked copy of javac (the langtools repository)
from OpenJDK
-nb-javac build produces two jars:
--the API jar, which basically contains javax.lang.model,
javax.annotation.processing, javax.tools and com.sun.source APIs whose
signatures should be the same as signatures for the same APIs from the
corresponding upstream javac (also contains com.sun.javadoc API, but use of
that should be discouraged as there's a much better com.sun.source.doctree
API now)
--the impl jar, which contains the rest of the compiler implementation
-many modules that provide Java language related features directly depend
on/use the APIs from the API jar
-a handful of modules that are base to the support for the Java language
directly depend on classes from the impl jar (in addition to the APIs).

Jan