netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Emilian Bold <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What to include/exclude in code donation to Apache
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2016 10:08:43 GMT
>> [...] Apache NetBeans will not succeed, the code will need to be donated
back to Oracle....

> Anyone can take code from an Apache project and fork it elsewhere, so if
some modules can't be released as part of Apache NetBeans anyone is free to
take them anywhere.

IANAL, but Oracle right now owns the copyright on the NetBeans codebase and
is even allowed to change the license according to the Oracle Contributor
Agreement for 3rd party contributions. This is what allows Oracle to sign
the code grant and the switch to the Apache License [1].

My impression is that the question is not about doing a fork of the Apache
licensed code base, but of continuing with the original GPL w/ CPE + CDDL
dual license, while also having the same OCA rights on 3rd party
contributions.

So it seems to me like this is a flaw of the incubation process which
should be seen as a joint effort.

A potential incubation failure should not kill a product nor have the
original contributor go back in time to the codebase before incubation and
lose all the 3rd party contributions made in between by the (existing)
community.

A simple solution to this would be to have all the contributors sign the
Apache CLA *and* the Oracle Contributor agreement during incubation.

[1] Note how the Apache CCLA does not mention the Apache License by name or
a given version. The CCLA allows the ASF to use any license they see fit,
including future Apache License versions or something else.

--emi

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org