netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Emilian Bold <emilian.b...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Current status of NetBeans code donation
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2016 12:18:34 GMT
> All this is the case since, again, anything we put into an Apache repo is
then at that stage Apache code.

BTW, not sure if we understand things the same here.

With the CCLA Oracle grants a *license* of the code, not full ownership.
So, anything we put into the Apache repo will have the ASF as a licensee
and they will be free to use the Apache license for that code.

So it's not like Oracle loses control of some precious thing. They still
own the copyright. Worse case scenario a specific snapshot in time of some
piece of code becomes Apache licensed.

Furthermore, I believe that even if we sign the CCLA as is, we could
still *import
the code* incrementally.

So, there is still an opportunity for Oracle to intervene and say: "hold
on, we didn't expect this code to be there and we want to explicitly
exclude it from the grant and update the CCLA". It seems understandable and
I don't believe the ASF will complain. This could even be part of the
incubator code cleanup we have to do anyhow.

It took me a few hours to write some scripts to check the module licenses.
What kind of effort are you doing behind the scenes now? Is some developer
/ lawyer taking each module and dependency and whitelisting it or what?

It seems important to me we start this already. I believe we could use the
current CCLA and start importing the code incrementally.

--emi