netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Neil C Smith <neilcsmith....@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Optional modules with GPL dependencies (was: What to include/exclude in code donation to Apache)
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2016 18:00:02 GMT
Hi,

Is top-posting or inline replying the norm here?  Anyway, replies below :-)

>> On Nov 5, 2016, at 12:22, Wade Chandler <wadechandler@apache.org> wrote:
>> I think there is “what can be at Apache; source or built artifacts” and “what
can my platform application include in its final build; which isn’t at Apache; even if it
uses an Apache license” and “how can Apache NetBeans help me package my dependencies,
per my choices, regardless of Apache’s business and legal decisions for their own products/projects”.
I think these are inevitably going to be part of the concerns, and perhaps some of yours Neil;
if I’m off base, then fine.

Not really ...

> On 5 November 2016 at 16:45, Wade Chandler <wadechandler@apache.org> wrote:
> Perhaps specific threads can be created to discuss the Java and JavaScript support in
NetBeans (independently/maybe together). I think a big part of the question is what does Oracle
think about supporting nb-javac and graal.js if they are only used by NetBeans. I mean, is
there some long term support strategy there?

This is more my concern, and reason for the questions I raised.  I
realise my use of the words "this project" may have been open to
misinterpretation - I meant NetBeans, not my own platform application
(although that is obviously of tangential concern for me!).  I should
have said, having the regular OpenJDK tooling supporting what NetBeans
requires surely benefits all projects building similar tools.

My concern is that without the Java cluster I don't believe NetBeans
is really a viable project, and for that cluster to be viable requires
the long term support of nb-javac that you mention.  Why I think this
is different to reliance on almost any other library is the way javac
uses the internals of the JRE.  eg. the last time I looked, javac had
specific exceptions in place to bypass module restrictions in Java 9.
It just feels like shakier ground to rely on than it could be.

Assuming the answer to my licensing question is no, then I'm
interested in exactly how much nb-javac forks from javac and how
maintainable it is from outside?  Could nb-javac features be merged
with javac, or become ide-javac within OpenJDK, providing similar
services to any IDE?

My 2c!

Best wishes,

Neil