netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Neil C Smith <neilcsmith....@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Optional modules with GPL dependencies (was: What to include/exclude in code donation to Apache)
Date Sun, 06 Nov 2016 10:30:41 GMT
On 6 November 2016 at 02:16, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
>> > Assuming the answer to my licensing question is no, then I'm
>> > interested in exactly how much nb-javac forks from javac and how
>> > maintainable it is from outside?
>
> Java (or more precisely, JRE, pre-OpenJDK) was deemed 15-20 years ago to be
> incompatible with Apache principles, and although Sun allowed
> redistribution of JRE, we couldn't do it. Java got classified the same as
> Windows, Linux and other prerequisites as a "System Requirement", and that
> term is only vaguely defined to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. In
> the past (I was on Legal committee for 5 years or so) "System Requirement"
> questions that listed one or more library-type components, would be denied.
> IIRC, people tried that route for Hibernate, Berkley DB JE and Neo4j. Each
> case is different, and should be evaluated on its merits.

Something I understand, but not something that actually relates to
*my* licensing question, which was back to Oracle / Geertjan.  That
was the ultra-long-shot question of whether multiple licensing of
javac and other tools had been considered?  Tools having a more
liberal license to their runtimes is not without precedent!  I'm also
not holding my breath. :-)

Best wishes,

Neil

--