netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What to include/exclude in code donation to Apache
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2016 08:12:54 GMT
On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 2:35 AM, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
> ...it is *possible* that the Java Editor itself
> (not the nb-javac) can not be released under Apache License....

I agree that it's hard to give a definite answer on this right now,
the core issue is which NetBeans modules can be considered core and
which ones optional - as the former cannot have dependencies with
incompatible licenses as per http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html

This will be clarified once NetBeans makes its first release, that's
when we'll need to clearly define what's core and what's optional.

Once the Incubator PMC votes and accepts that first release that's the
official ASF decision on that classification and we can then move
forward. In a top-level ASF project that decision would be made by the
project's PMC, but for a podling the PPMC has no formal power to make
such decisions.

Until then, I don't think it's useful to discuss this in much more
detail, before the code is here so that we can look at a potential
release candidate and discuss the details on a concrete basis.

This core/optional classification is totally orthogonal with Oracle's
selection of what to donate. We'll accept whatever Oracle donates, and
then sort it out to decide what we can release or not.

-Bertrand