netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What to include/exclude in code donation to Apache
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2016 09:04:05 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 9:47 AM, Geertjan Wielenga
<geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com> wrote:
> ...Once we get to the release and it is voted down, i.e.,
> we cannot leave the incubator, because of dependencies between the Java
> Editor and nb-javac, i.e., Apache NetBeans will not succeed, the code will
> need to be donated back to Oracle....

Anyone can take code from an Apache project and fork it elsewhere, so
if some modules can't be released as part of Apache NetBeans anyone is
free to take them anywhere.

The limitations to this are Java package names (we'll complain if
someone else uses org.apache) and the NetBeans name itself which needs
to be donated to Apache, before the first release IMO. Package names
can stay as is during incubation so no concerns here.

But this has no impact on the software grant, if that includes some
modules that we cannot use here we'll just ignore them and people can
take them elsewhere.

if you want to define now what's core or not I suggest that you create
a wiki page describing that, and we can have a PPMC vote on it, or
even an Incubator PMC vote, as a complement to the NetBeans podling
acceptance vote, if people think that's really useful.

-Bertrand