netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject The role of nb-javac (was: Optional modules with GPL dependencies...)
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2016 07:42:51 GMT
Hi,

On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 6:15 AM, Wade Chandler <wadechandler@apache.org> wrote:
> ...The OpenJDK uses the same license as nb-javac; GPL+CDE....

> ...Why would a dependency on nb-javac differ from
> OpenJDK with the same license with both being Java class dependencies
> (java.lang.String versus X)?...

One element that might be missing in this discussion is exactly what
nb-javac is used for.

My understanding (but I'm clueless about NetBeans internals so far) is
that it's a patched version of the standard javac compiler, that's
required to build NetBeans.

I suppose it's also required at runtime by the NetBeans Java subsystem.

If someone can confirm those statements that would be helpful w.r.t
how that component should be handled here.

And if you have pointers to the differences with the standard javac
compiler that's also useful if alternatives need to be considered.

-Bertrand