netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: What to include/exclude in code donation to Apache
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2016 14:31:30 GMT
Again, if the Java Editor depends on nb-javac (and not the other way
around), the Java Editor needs clearance from VP Legal (who might need to
seek advice from Legal Counsel), whether the Java Editor can be licensed as
ALv2. I am not sure if there is a precedent in Apache before, but I have
seen FSF express that the CPE is not compatible with GPL for dynamically
linked languages. If the Java Editor will be deemed incompatible with ALv2,
then that too would need to reside outside ASF, and what would that mean
for overall credibility?

"Netbeans - An Application Platform from Apache. With optional Add-ons for,
among many others, editing Java applications..., available from third-party
sources" doesn't rhyme well, does it?
Is Apache Netbeans willing to ship a package that can not contain the
central part of a Java IDE? I suspect not... and that is why Legal should
be consulted.

Niclas

--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer