netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: What to include/exclude in code donation to Apache
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2016 01:35:09 GMT
Emanuel,
you know that the "type of users" isn't part of the Legal aspect. There are
only "downstream users" and doesn't matter if that is you (Java developer),
Google (say an IDE company) or Boeing (separate app). ASF cares about the
principles. There are similar situations from the past.

My point, Geertjan, is that it is *possible* that the Java Editor itself
(not the nb-javac) can not be released under Apache License. That means
development of that will need to be outside of ASF. And from what Wade is
hinting at, a bunch of other components may follow suit from that.

So, it needs to be worked out;
 1. Can Java Editor be released under Apache License. Check with Legal for
that.
 2. If not,
    a. Is it within the scope of the community to find/create a working
replacement for nb-javac?
    b. Or, will Java Editor (and everything depending on it or nb-javac) be
developed outside ASF, and how is that going to work in practice?

I am not asking for answers here and now, just that you all are aware of
this, and that it doesn't come as a big surprise when the first release is
voted down due to legal issues.

Cheers
Niclas

--