netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: What to include/exclude in code donation to Apache
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2016 02:49:23 GMT
On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 11:06 PM, Ate Douma <ate@douma.nu> wrote:

> While I agree to a large extend, I'm wondering why this specific use-case
> isn't already concrete enough to have ASF Legal make a concrete decision
> about?
> The question, as I see it, being:
>
>   Will the Apache NetBeans project be allowed to develop and release
>   a (or more) optional module, the Java Editor module in casu, under the
>   ASL 2.0 license at the ASF, which depends on external 3rd party module
>   nb-javac which is available under the GPL v2 w/ CPE (Category X).
>   End users willing to use the optional module will be required to provide
>   the nb-javac module themselves during installation.
>
> If ASF Legal can provide a formal response on the above question, I see
> no reason to postpone this until a first NetBeans release.
> And this would take away a lot (probably not all) uncertainties around this
> potentially blocking hurdle.

I agree with Ate. I don't know if legal-discuss@ has a canned answer for
this question, but if not, it follows the general guideline of Legal
Affairs Committee that the question is concrete, i.e. "I have X and I need
to Y, can I do this?", unlike the many hypotheticals that were forwarded to
that list when I was on it.

So, I suggest that one of the mentors reach out to legal-discuss@ for an
answer. I would also add the copyright holder of each part involved, in
case that matters.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer