netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: What to include/exclude in code donation to Apache
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2016 09:56:09 GMT
On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 5:21 PM, Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecharny@gmail.com>
wrote:

> For users to have them, they will have to install them on their side.
> That could be done in many ways (market place, download, etc). The idea
> is that it requires a *conscient* action from a user.

And there is also a strong expectation that core functionality doesn't have
"unusual systems requirements".

Also, if Netbeans IDE in fact depends on nb-java means (in FSF's
interpretation) that all of of Netbeans IDE needs to be licensed as GPL.
and we can't have that, regardless of whether the user is required to
download the piece manually. ONLY if the optional piece depend on Netbeans
IDE (not other way), then can such dependency exist from a licensing point
of view. I don't remember what Legal committee concluded about the
"Classpath Exception", which FSF doesn't recognize as legit.

If Netbeans IDE is not usable without this component, OR if the IDE is
dependent on nb-javac, then this needs to be resolved. IMVHO, it is not a
show-stopper for incubation, but will definitely be a a high priority item
prior to graduation.

Just read Tulach comment on it; It doesn't change the basic underlying
principles (those nagging bits that we take seriously). It is a Licensing
issue, determined by what depends on what, and whether it is reasonably
optional or not. The rest is mechanics, and solved by technologists, which
we have plenty... :-)

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer