netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Geertjan Wielenga <geertjan.wiele...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: What to include/exclude in code donation to Apache
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2016 08:47:53 GMT
On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 9:12 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Until then, I don't think it's useful to discuss this in much more
> detail, before the code is here so that we can look at a potential
> release candidate and discuss the details on a concrete basis.

Thanks for this intervention.

A concern I have is that we can only make the code available to Apache
after the CCLA/SGA has been completed. At that point, the NetBeans source
code, except for nb-javac and other exclusions, will belong to Apache.
We'll then go through a process together of working on the code and putting
a release together. Once we get to the release and it is voted down, i.e.,
we cannot leave the incubator, because of dependencies between the Java
Editor and nb-javac, i.e., Apache NetBeans will not succeed, the code will
need to be donated back to Oracle.

That seems like a very large amount of work, all for nothing. Can we not
start off from a few premises up front? I.e., if we need to wait until
right before the release for a definition of what is core and what is not
core -- that seems problematic to me. The core is the NetBeans Platform,
i.e., the basis of NetBeans IDE and all the language features are optional
modules. Sure, some optional modules are very important to some people,
while others are very important to other people.

But, really, I would feel a lot more comfortable if we could establish a
decision up front and as soon as possible about the specific question about
what is core.

Thanks,

Geertjan