netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Geertjan Wielenga <geertjan.wiele...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: IDE-javac
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2016 22:41:03 GMT
Agreed, definitely, something to be discussed.

A starting point to understanding the what and why of nb-javac is here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Overview%3A+nb-javac

However, how is the maintenance of nb-javac any different to the
maintenance of any other part of NetBeans? All of NetBeans needs to be
maintained and developed further, not only nb-javac. That's why we're
building up a very large group of individual committers for Apache NetBeans
(incubating), one of which tasks will be the maintenance of the nb-javac
codebase. Some of those individual committers come from Oracle, so would
logically work on the areas they know best, which includes nb-javac, though
it would be great to share that knowledge around so that others outside
Oracle can work on this too. Where the development of nb-javac will happen
is yet to be determined, possibly on GitHub for example or simply in its
current location, i.e., within its hg.netbeans.org/main/nb-javac location
under its Oracle license, of course.

Thanks,

Gj